HISTORY OF DAMBE GAME
The sport originated from the Nigeria butchers from the northern part of Nigeria . It was their recreational sport after every market session. The sport also takes place at the end of the rainy season festivals. The period varies from one community to another in some parts of the northern states in Nigeria . It is now 5 gold, 5 silver and 10 bronze medals at the National Sports Festivals, e.g. EDO 2002.
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF DAMBE GAME
THE AREA OF PLAY
A space of 10 metres diameter.
A space free from injurious materials around. Up to 25m radius. The game can be played indoor or outdoor (open space).
There shall be five categories with distinct weight classifications. A player is allowed to participate only in one category for which he has been duly registered and accredited according to his weight. The categories are:
(a) National Sports Festival (i) 45-55kg
(b)All Africa Games categories: 51-60kg, 61-70kg, 71-80kg.The weight categories can be spread to 10 categories.
• Players are free to wear in training and competition: shorts.
• Red and Blue playing pants are to be used.
• Vest and T-Shirts state colours, wrap crepe bandage or something similar. Players can as well decorate themselves.
• Glove guard is allowed.
MODE OF PLAY
The sport is played between two players of almost equal weight. The two players shake hands and space apart about an arm length and face each other to box. Only one fist is wrapped. Punches are directed mostly to the face using only the wrapped fist. The free hand is used as shield for defense.
• There are four judges at a time for a match. The referee, the time keeper and two scorers.
• The judge can exchange before the end of the match to disallow manipulations.
• The judges can decide to draw, when no point is made by either players or equal points are scored, to give room for a winner to emerge, additional time and number of rounds may be resorted to.
• WALKOVER: The judges can give a walkover to a player when an opponent fails to turn up for a match, unless there is genuine evidence communicated in good time.
• The judges indicate the winner by raising the arm of the player that wins the contest.
• Winning is decided on a number of good punches or complete fall on the ground.
• Draw is decided on additional two grounds on who makes the point first.
• A situation where a player has a deep cut and bleeds profusely, the judges should stop the match and award the match to his opponent to safe life.
DOWNLOAD DAMBE SCORE SHEET HERE